Sunday, July 6, 2008

A lesson that stood out...


Today in church, a lesson was taught by a dear woman who inspired me. I guess I should give a little background as to why I felt inspired..I have had my share of trials in the past 10 years, enough to make a person wince. Ive never said "why me Lord"..but I have asked "when will it be enough"...My latest bought of depression stems from the fact that at only age 30, ive now been divorced twice, have three children, a very scarred and horrifying body thanks to giving life for these men I thought would love me forever..Im no longer any mans ideal as a future spouse. Who would want me? Its been somethine ive cried over a lot lately.

During todays lesson this sweet woman pulled out some comic pictures that told a story. It showed a bunch of normal people carrying crosses, to signify everyones own personal burdens they have to carry. Then it shows one of those men in the bunch who is struggling with his cross. So he stops, takes out a saw, and begins to lighten his load so it isnt so hard to bear. He is whistling a happy tune,thinking he is pretty clever, skipping along with his tinier cross while everyone else struggles onward. They dont know why they have to carry the full weight of their crosses, but they do so in obedience. Then it showed them coming to a large deep ravine down the road..How are they to get over it?..Lay down the cross, and use it as a bridge to get over this obstacle. Everyone did so with ease, and came out on the otherside, able to move forward. This little guy who chose to not bear his burdens like the others, came up short, and was not able to lay his cross over the ravine to move forward with the others. We dont know why we are suppose to endure the things we do..It may seem unfair..The Lord sees the bigger picture and knows the importance, and by doing so anyway, we will have the tool needed to overcome bigger obstacles with ease.

This was sort of a profound lesson for me, and tho ive heard them time and again, it always helps to have visuals and to hear it from a different perspective to reaffirm my testimony. I often find myself hiding from my trials by emersing myself into things (like the computer) as a way to not have to deal with what goes on around me. I know I need to just pray for strength and carry head on. I know there are lessons to be learned from everything Ive gone thru in my life, that may not make sense now, but will later...like when I need that cross to build a bridge across a ravine.

3 comments:

Emily said...

Wow - what an awesome story! Thanks for sharing.

Windy said...

Actually that comment was from me - Windy. I guess my daughter was signed on through her account and I didn't notice.

Darth Jakers said...

OK, big squishy hug time!!!!!