Aaaaah Washington! Home to coffee shops, the Seattle Seahawks, Mariners, Indian casinos, and Rainier Beer! The great birth mother to grunge rock, Prozac prescriptions, and umbrellas!
We are on the verge of Autumn, which is a time of home-sickness for me. California will forever be one of my favorite places to live due to warm weather, beautiful beaches, and Disneyland..But Washington is my home.
I miss the changing of the seasons...especially around the holidays. I miss wearing my funky knit hats and toasty-warm coats...I miss my best friends Sara and Hans, with our adventures to musty used book stores and the best thrift stores on the planet..(Something completely lost on Californians..)..
..I miss the old architecture with its ivy covered buildings and gargoyles...The smell of cedar hanging in the air from all the neighborhood wood burning stoves...
I miss tubing down the Green River during the one month in Summer it usually doesn't rain. My under arms raw from rubber friction..Cheeks sunburned..Lazily floating about 3 hours to our check point..Hitting occasional rapids or rock up yer bum. Good times.

September through November means visiting the pumpkin patches...and The Puyallup Fair! (The 7th largest fair in America..with the worlds largest Earthquake burger and elephant ears!)

Winter time means trips to the local Starbucks for apple cider with cream (This picture shows the original Starbucks)..Espresso stands take up permanent residence in every parking lot of every shopping center, strip mall, and gas station. You can get anything from coffee to Italian sodas to girls in bikinis in the dead of winter..(True story).
I miss the Skagit Valley Tulips of springtime.

Tacoma and Seattle provided me with the best times of my life.The people are more humble, down to earth, and even a little bit "back-woodsy"..Especially with our terrible Canadian/Washington accents. (Yes we have them!!)..I long for the day I can return for a visit. Sara, I need my Frisko Freeze french fries and Butterscotch milk shake!

Here is a special shout out to my husband and his fanaticism for Modest Mouse and the Beatles..Below is the Seattle Edgewater hotel where the Beatles stayed in 1964 after playing 2 concerts at the Seattle Center Coliseum. (Led Zeppelin also stayed here in 1973..where the legendary shark incident was rumored to have happened.)
Modest Mouse hails from the great city of Issaquah..Home to a lot of snow..and amazing artists! (check out the redneck condos of Issaquah Highlands..)


Amazing!!!
I miss my Washington.
Here are some more pictures of home (click on them to make bigger)....Enjoy...and you're welcome!
Deception Pass Bridge..My grandparents live just passed the bridge a couple miles into Oak Harbor. I lived here for 2 years...Its in the book of world records for having the most fast food chains in one single city, in the entire country.

The Experience Music Project..(EMP)..I learned all about the history of Funk from this place..and became a fan of Parliament and the Funkadelic.

A typical home in a typical Washington neighborhood...Notice the wet ground and gloom..It rains 75% of the year here..This house is selling for $240,000, btw..

One of my most favorite places in the world..Pike Place Market!(Hilarious post cards, fresh produce, and jewelry!)I can do without the famous fish throwers, however..

Even better still...Pike Place at Christmas time!

Road trips down the Olympic Peninsula will take you to the Rain Forests...

..Waterfalls.....

..and creepy beaches...

Tacoma on the waterfront...

Great little shops and restaurants...

Narrows Bridge from Gig Harbor into Tacoma..(Wave to Crystal from across the bridge!)

Where I spent most of my teen and half of my adult years...

Tacoma's Thornwood Castle...the haunted dwelling where Stephen King filmed Rose Red.


My Seattle...Where I feel most at home
No comments:
Post a Comment