Thursday, May 1, 2008

Contimplating the Classics...


I have had the great fortune of submerging myself into classic literature since bombarding my parents at Edwards Manor. Partly because I wished to learn of those esteemed writers which my almamater didnt see fit to bestow upon we students as part of our educational upbringing...Partly because I needed an escape during my time of desperation when I felt compelled to give into my torment. (See! Im influenced by them already, in verse! Ha!)

Lately I have bec ome intimately aquainted with Jane Austens "Pride and Prejudice" and Emily Bronte's "Wuthering Heights." Both classics held in high regard. I have to say that I much prefer Jane Austen at this point and see nothing great about the latter.

I adored Pride and Prejudice, and feel very fondly for the characters presented. The writing was very well done, and thank heavens for the guide at the bottom of the book which translated a lot of the words no longer used today. If there was only one complaint to give, it would be merely due to my own jealousy. How is it possible that a houseful of country marms with neighbors wonderfully spread out, could still find many a rich young suiter to entertain thoughts of courtship and marriage? I cant find a single man interested to look my way in a large town with people who happen by my house by the hundreds daily. Humph! (LOL)

Wuthering Heights was a wonderfully done movie..And thank heavens for that, because I made it thru the book, barely. I did enjoy the movie a great deal as a youth (being a hopeless romantic and all,) but the the characters are and still remain today; whiney, sadistic, masochistic, juvenile, spoiled, and rotten to every core. There wasnt a single redeeming character to be had! Even the heroes of the story were in need of a good switch beating. Was this truly the way of life for these people? I hope not! Again, amidst the moors and harsh countryside, there was still love found between these men and women, despite the isolation. I just dont buy it...No wonder they needed to wed cousins.

My next adventure takes me to Charles Dickens "Great Expectations"..Wish me luck in my journey. I do love to read, tho it takes me from my chores. A task which my father repeatedly reminds me of its neglect.

Ta!

5 comments:

toomanycurls said...

Hey Jeri! Brian told me I could find you on here...

I love reading Classics. I went through a phase in high school where I read books I considered Classics. I haven't read any of those books though. I'm not very well read in Romantic Literature.

~Jeri Darling~ said...

Hi Rose! Yay, another blogging buddy! I love romantic literature..im sort of a freak cuz my real love life sucks. LOL..i have to live vicariously.

Windy said...

I read Wuthering Heights after I finished Eclipse (people said the plot was sort of based on Wuthering Heights) and I felt the same way about it as you do. I did not like that book. at. all! It made me mad that it was considered a classic and that I had wasted my time reading a book where the characters had no redeeming qualities!

I'm reading A Tale of Two Cities right now and it's worth reading.

~Jeri Darling~ said...

Thank goodness im not the only one bad-mouthing the classics! LOL. Thanks Windy! I will take that next book into account as well.

Brian said...

I saw the movies.