Friday, January 25, 2008

Along with sunshine, comes happy news!


I had an appointment with Erins teacher today to go over her yearly IEP (she being in special ed preschool for adaptive and speech,) and found out some fabulous news! She will get to start normal kindergarten next year, with 30 minutes set aside each week for adaptive..but her speech therapy is no longer needed. Most children who are tested at 100% are considered normal but Erin tested at 104%! She still has some issues with articulating when she is nervous or emotionally distressed, but otherwise she is so much more improved then 3 years ago when she first entered preschool, with no speaking ability whatsoever. I'm so excited for this news. Its been a long hard road for her. She is also ahead of the game in that she can recognize her fellow students names on paper, can spell her own name as well as family members, and knows the letters of the alphabet and each sound..I was shocked to hear that most kids entering kindergarten still dont know these things, even under "normal" circumstances. I hope she does well! I will still be nervous for her, but my conscience has been eased more upon hearing this news today.

No comments: