
A while back, I had talked to Erics school councilor about doing some tests on him, after he up and bit a child sitting next to him for no reason during quiet math time. She gave his teacher and myself some papers to fill out about his behavioral issues, and we both came back with the same complaints...He scored very high, with significance in Inattentive and Impulsive behavior which are two very strong links to ADHD. Eric has been getting into more and more trouble lately, usually resulting in severe punishment, yet nothing we do as parents sway him from acting out his whims. After getting online and doing much research, I found out that a child with severe impulsive behavior absolutely cannot stop and think first before acting. I found this to be true when I had a heart to heart with him yesterday after he chopped off all his hair with the scissors. I asked him why he did things that he new were wrong..and he new the punishment for it. He responded with "I try not to make you upset, but my brain tells me to do things and I cant stop it." My heart was broken. My 6 year old child is struggling internally and here I have been thinking Im not a harsh enough parent, so ive been trying to beat some sense into him. I feel awful now. I have always been anti medication for children, thinking that they will eventually grow out of their wild and whimsical behaviors given the chance to naturally...but with him I feel if I dont, his brain might tell him to rob a bank, or something worse. He needs to feel stabilized, so I wont need to punish him for his bad behavior..Because no amount of punishment, at this point, will make him stop doing things. Just my luck..as all of this is coming to a head..His father was released from the military so we have no insurance to help him with. I am seeking other options currently. Im grateful to have this knowledge so that now I can revise my parenting methods..and he has a chance to grow up normal and happy.
No comments:
Post a Comment